High School Diploma Subject And Course Requirements
Credits Required for Graduation: 42*
The following courses are required to earn a high school diploma. All courses at Sweetwater Secondary School are aligned to California Common Core Standards.
English Languages Arts: 8 semester credits
- Grade 9 English
- Grade 10 English
- Grade 11 and 12 English
4 credits – 2 credits in a course that emphasizes American Literature and 2 credits from a prescribed list of courses
Mathematics: 6 semester credits
- Algebra or Integrated Math 1
- Geometry or Integrated Math 2
- Intermediate Algebra or Integrated Math 3 or higher level math (Pre-calculus, Honors Pre-calculus, Statistics, AP Calculus AB)
Science: 4 semester credits
- Physical Science: Earth and Space or Physics or Chemistry
- Life Science: Biology
Social Studies: 2 semester credits
- World History, Geography & Economics
- US History
World Languages and Visual & Performing Arts: 2 semester credits
- Option 1 2 semesters of World Language (both semesters must be same language)
- Option 2 2 semesters of Visual and Performing Arts
Physical Education: 4 semester credits
Electives: 9 semester credits
Career and Technical Education, Service Learning and Work Experience Education: 2 semester credits
- Option 1 2 credits of Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- Option 2 2 semesters of Service Learning
- Option 3 2 semesters of Work Experience
All seniors at Sweetwater Secondary School Students must complete a Pathways Exhibition Portfolio and Presentation.
Students graduating from Sweetwater Secondary School must attend a senior orientation with a parent/guardian in order to participate in the graduation ceremony.
*42 units are required to be completed. May be earned by completing additional courses in the above areas or through elective courses completed in other areas such as physical education.